Psychological Self-Help

Navigation bar
  Home Print document View PDF document Start Previous page
 166 of 167 
Next page End Contents 161 162 163 164 165 166 167  

positive or have AIDS, 12 million more get other sexual diseases every
year, including herpes, genital warts, Chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis,
and others. Write American Social Health Association, P. O. Box
13827, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709 for free information. Read
Barlow (1979) or Langston (1983). 
For information about birth control and pregnancy, look under
Family Planning in the Yellow Pages and see the references in the
section above about avoiding pregnancy. 
For sexual assault by a stranger, an acquaintance, a relative, or a
spouse, call the police or a local Rape or Crisis Line (or the national
center at 301-443-1910) and read Brownmiller (1975), Grossman and
Sutherland (1982/83). 
For a concern about incest, call the local Family and Children's
Service agency and see Renshaw's (1983), Bass & Davis (1994), or
Russell (1982) or other references mentioned above and in chapters 7
and 9. 
For sexual harassment at work (40 to 80% of women) or at school
(25% of coeds), contact your local Affirmative Action office and read
MacKinnon (1979) or Colatosti and Karg (1992). 
If you feel you need a sex therapist, don't just pick one out of the
Yellow Pages. There is no regulation of this specialty. Many competent
psychotherapists are not well qualified in this area. So what do you
do? For help finding a sex therapist or group, contact the American
Association of Sex Educators, Counselors and Therapists, 11 Dupont
Circle, NW, Suite 220, Washington, DC 20036-1207. Or, call 212-920-
4576 for referral to a sex therapist. Consider using the Masters &
Johnson Institute in St. Louis but it involves daily sessions for two
weeks. Their therapy focuses on the relationship--anger, self-esteem,
power struggles. It is quite expensive ($5,000+). If you can not afford
this, consider other specialized "sex therapy centers" associated with
medical centers, universities, or hospitals (many charge according to
the ability to pay). Your local Mental Health Center can also refer you
to a professional clinic or to an experienced sex therapist. Avoid
anyone who does not have a doctoral degree and extensive
professional experience with sexual problems. Also avoid any therapist
who makes unrealistic promises or takes an unprofessional-unethical
approach to your problem. 
link on the book title page). Please note that references are on pages
Previous page Top Next page

« Back